Re: ULF: Crossed 14.4 km on 970 Hz / 309 km band

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ULF: Crossed 14.4 km on 970 Hz / 309 km band
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 16:01:19 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
PS: Another image, showing the whole recording from 0...5 kHz, without filters and blankers...

73, Stefan

Am 22.04.2017 15:59, schrieb DK7FC:
Dear friends of the Ultra Low Frequencies,

Yesterday a new experiment was done on the 309 km band. With the setup bescribed below, still running just 5 kV / 15 mA on 970 Hz, i crossed a distance of 14.4 km which is twice the distance of the last experiment. A plain carrier was sent on 970.005 Hz, at least this was the plan.
This is the location: http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html?qth=JN49KL09AB
And this is the path: http://no.nonsense.ee/qth/map.html?qth=JN49KL09AB&from=jn49ik00wd
I recorded 196 minutes at 24000 kS/s starting 15:33:03 UTC.

As expected in the near field, the signal is much weaker than just 6 dB, rather 16 dB! But it is still there! A weak but doubtless trace in 3.8 mHz. The signal was peaking 18 dB SNR in 424 uHz.

There were some strange problems on the transmitter side. For the first recording hour there was no carrier. I had to walk 45 minutes to reach the next village to get some mobile internet to remotely restart the transmission. After 80 minutes the carrier disappeared again and came back 30 minutes later on 970.000 Hz. That was not intended but it acts a bit as a keyed carrier, a better ID which is well visible in 3.8 mHz.

It is very interesting just to listen to the recording (using a 6 kHz low pass filter). I like the sound of the sferics which are propagating well below 500 Hz, not only down to 4 kHz. It all helps to better understand propagation from DC to VLF. BTW there were many whistlers that evening and i catched many of them. It is a quiet location but i still think that the antenna has not the maximum possible sensitivity arround 1000 Hz.

Some pictures in the attachment (i still need to work out a comfortable dropbox alternative).

Now, that was the next step, 29 % of the far field border is crossed.
I'm planning a next experiment in 25 km distance, which would be 50% of the far field distance. Maybe i can do some QRO or i need to do a very long recording. The the current signal strength there should still be no problem in 47 uHz. This time i'm planning to use a larger E field antenna.

On the end of the 3.8 mHz spectrogram the signal became significantly stronger. Can there be some QSB, i.e. groundwave-skywave interaction even in 14.4 km distance? Or was it just constructive QRM/N? It will be interesting in the next (longer taking) experiment to see if there are some diurnal signal level changes. Maybe the band turns out to work much better during a certain time period...

73, Stefan