Re: LF: Poor aerial connection affecting gate waveforms??

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Poor aerial connection affecting gate waveforms??
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 17:41:29 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=z59O22eJPQyy/azDukW2H5dSlCWeyBJZIJn8P7ilX98=; b=hM3W3ruqLYJ8h2E7G3y5QyCZTlSOFsuBh5vZvxQ5idV8U4o06h9oz3HC5oiqmszSas +QWR2J3vp+CIWf4SriHCnBOfKKaq6kk8fv1esHSohGXFj3v0OfXYzp/343wHAPZ0pWvH o1T7miyuTUi0z9LOMph/yirNIpqW4Qj0mjnJ7YIubGXQ3G8jWOTXk+RzKI+9BIYkth93 PtnL2NmB7f35YfNy/xt9YQjPPOIfyDuFTb1RnnbwIxTwcGTR/pKMITa0vpOvTf3AOwRs xQaqIH9C5dZsK2D6R8G9bsBDizOq2ja6ovyflCGqB7uo9YXxlHYuFsjSUufVLsba4ysw eZTw==
Sender: [email protected]
I don't know why more designs based on them haven't appeared.  Other than my half bridge version running from 320V DC from raw rectified mains, all the other high power amps around seem to use the classic pair of devices into a push-pull transformer. With all the baggage such designs entail.

50V supply,   full H-bridge, tank on the output from the bridge, single DC isolation / impedance matching transformer.    No inductors other than the  (ideally air cored ) one in the tank.    Can use the Decca guard circuity, which beats hands-down all these trips and overcurrent and drive failure arrangements.

The advantage of doing one from a 50 - 100V rail over my direct mains one is that drive to the FETs doesn't have to go though an isolation transformer.  You can get complete single-chip H-bridge driver chips that handle the bootstrapped supply and just need a logic level drive signal.

Andy  G4JNT