RE: ULF: Finally 100 mA on 2.97 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: ULF: Finally 100 mA on 2.97 kHz
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 19:13:51 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1481588038; bh=qgGkf9Yv0Uz8uGjb+tME9S/0mgm06pKn8Vg4aD4Wbq0=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=miFse4RLNwy4hhITaoiLjlpDNpWcLwrKYebx7ReyTSRACh6xB069GcI8TElOqKXan FbNTIAfa6QHINSmj5bt9FYIRS/hjubKYN2puleNh/A/b1nA7u9QwUf8XNbW8x1UgvL lNbz2DB7ET7jUJ7+oRWy7nibNUuj2uYflIJPrmiJ0uvyLVsZE9o3eyLRqp1McTqc/N dmVfqrY5WF01sAQd8fMO86E81vB18N4oKrA1L7fkr4Ndmf1CJeSxtNSnQ2tAHlJxA/ WGUiLvuoEmlxUdcCwCnf4QR38KlvvIBtDKqFb57td1yHA7iBUhTUx9aqkhHnHyrp5U VevTIW+potRMw==
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,

Your data becomes more fascinating with each update. From the .jpg image that
you attached, it seems like the phase changes at the 3.5 km site are not from
SNR and probably not from simple sky/ground-wave interference. If you have
ruled out phase jumps from corona (which I think you did rule out) my next
thoughts would include (among other things) variations in diffraction and/or
re-radiation from local geography and infrastructure, but:

Another thought relates to the above and has me somewhat distracted: if your 65
km results show phase changes larger than SNR-limited phase noise, would that
suggest that you have a practical D-layer bottomside ionosonde?

If your initial SNR measurements at 65 km are representative (first pixels 20dB
at 47 uHz?), it seems like your RX loop orientation and 2970 Hz frequency at 65
km could give D-layer height information at 100 uHz bin width (or at 47uHz over
a two-day period). This is another way of saying that the phase changes that
you see could be related to the ionosphere; but if they are (and it seems like
they have a good chance of being so), they might contain unique information
about local reflection height at ULF, and acquiring local ULF reflection height
from practical equipment (i.e. having a practical D-layer bottomside ionosonde)
would be a unique and valuable achievement. It could for instance be valuable
for your longer-range experiments because it would help to overcome one of the
biggest limitations of LWPC (imprecise height parameters), thereby providing
much more accurate estimates of your signal strength and phase variation at 830
km (for example).

I will search my database for 3kHz modal interference data at 3.5 km - 900 km;
thank you for a very interesting and significant experiment.

73,

Jim AA5BW