RE: ULF: Finally 100 mA on 2.97 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: ULF: Finally 100 mA on 2.97 kHz
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 11:16:48 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1481559429; bh=WKK/ybqVDHlmraMa4ftRh8UgI8GlQfvOfhIpk5HD2gw=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=l2ds7IF5eT3LULdeuG4XKBQ1+qcLuDFNsyL8sTtJ9uX8viFYzPHNDAIEJnYcZqH5c 2ggjnWEkLNEO9jyhJ5ayGkPmtyNSIyUK1085FEqPljn6uc0nUjKK0l1OtUI+/mHwNc Rx2y/4xjrwQ1luKQ9g/yfjZNZ/MfnCKwJ7PtniM8VrBsMJM/f0j6uZHgcSuZ4EPi7b kss+Gq9zvqY3+TAVoRbQSEq1YW++LzyqWRaJwRqreaYRfTUnVyKqTg/IepcCtH7TqF VVbOkA2NWP6UcRhB2gVLNjlPc7ruXI26b2mTnpdZ3NatVcNa1b1pdZ4IUeUhaRCghu eFdJUXonst3xg==
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan,

Congratulations on your ~20dB SNR at 65 km, 2970 Hz, that is quite a landmark
supported by hard work.

You mentioned that the phase changes at 65 km do not seem to be from the
transmitter, and that the phase changes are slow (I could not determine how
slow from your earlier plot).

Does slow phase change (not from transmitter) lead you to suspect that the
phase changes (and some signal strength variation) may be from modal
interference (multiple rays interfering)? This question derives from modal
interference being more prevalent and greater in magnitude at lower VLF and ULF
frequencies, and distances less than 1,000 km. I didn't ask this before,
because it would be unusual for modal interference to be a substantial issue at
two widely separated locations (i.e at 65 km and at Todmorden). I didn't see
mention of this possibility in Markus' comments so I'm wondering if this
possibility is ruled out by other observations?

Your results today are great news, nice work!

73,

Jim AA5BW