Re: LF: MF: EbNaut

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: MF: EbNaut
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 22:45:27 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

I've done a lot of work over the years modelling air cored
coils - and they're hard enough to get right.  Throw in a
core and it becomes a nightmare.  So much depends on just
how you wind and layer the turns, the type of wire, core
properties.   That's probably one challenge I'm not going
to rise to.  I admit - I am reduced to trial and error!

Tomorrow I might try a 1:1:1 trifilar wind and use an L or
pi match to raise the Z.   Troubles lurk when I try to use
more than about 1:2 turns ratio.  If that fails I'll throw
in the towel and change to single ended.   As you can tell,
it's the first time I've tried to make a broadband PA
with a ferrite transformer.  I naively thought it would be
easy!

I must say, I'm having fun with this - it's over 10 years
since I last made a transmitter, and apart from these pesky
toroidal transformers, everything seems quite easy to do
at MF.

--
Paul Nicholson