Re: LF: EbNaut / Coherent PSK reception with SDR (-IQ) or similar radios

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: EbNaut / Coherent PSK reception with SDR (-IQ) or similar radios
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 12:10:44 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=TRiDI5ZPlwpTSqyDANbdPw13tMRKBswjiJTtrO/QAvQ=; b=H7ZCB5XsX0Gy+mIxyjfa9kpu6B+NjITXnKdYWh8NgKQyQKjgVF8cuvh70jM7T6pSb5 W7TAS3/KXRqEsijHeZsO4duboifedw01jPysGVRBagh1cUOMpnOpByCphTeNiYJxTAeY U66zAZqbhtD7GK8M0Qg6KB1SjbwuN+H6LqyZ29b6/wF9N9KIC+dOcaRKXIl/Uyf8UbLZ 1Nc5bB/K0srJkhA3Nrkit1Fjzq/KkxI6fSnRYPbEDzRpQTniywxpi9IstITZDzlbPV4P r+PofwoWqmZ+AG3ZBmrWdjsGmRwfsmO6F98C+THq3ek/bTmIDcirkkXi8lKg0voym9GB uTXQ==
Sender: [email protected]
He would say that wouldn't he - trying to sell multiplier / locking systems ;-)
The phase noise on modern synthesizers really is good these days,
especially if you use high comparison frequencies and wide loop
bandwidth.  I have one or two of those chips, all salvaged from old
PCBs found at rallies.  In fact, I have a whole tin full of salvaged
synth chips; at least 8 different LMX types, all of which have
slightly different programming requirements, so it is easiest to just
settle on using one or two types

Back in the year dot - when high performance synths were still novel,
someone once suggested to me using a heater on the crystal to turn it
into a VCXO.  Provided it was the right (or perhaps that should be
'wrong')  cut of crystal it could give a more controllable shift than
a varicap might allow.   I never tried it, but suspected the thermal
delay would make the loop bandwidth a bit too narrow.   But it would
solve the need to keep the crystal thermally controlled in a
conventional VCXO design - as thermal effects were upsetting the loop
.

Andy  G4JNT