Re: LF: EbNaut LF test from iz7slz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: EbNaut LF test from iz7slz
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:02:47 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
> At LF/MF if messages are short, say less than 30 minutes, the tx frequency only needs to drift by less than about 0.5 Hz/hour. That's within range of a reasonably stable undisciplined oscillator such as an OCXO.

Yes a 0.5 mHz (not Hz) hourly drift won't affect decoding much. I think the reason for chirp tolerance is simply that a quadratic phase associated with a linear frequency drift has smaller excursions at the end, compared to a linear phase slope from a constant frequency offset. The difficulty is only that the actual center frequency is not easily predictable, and the search can be cumbersome when the signal is weak.

Domenico initially used an undiscipled OCXO for EbNaut on LF with good success. During our recent MF QSO, I was using my FiFi-SDR which is equipped with a free-running Si570 oscillator and a glued-on NTC-and-transistor heater (which was fabricated quick'n'dirty style during the night before our 2012 trip to India). This RX drifted up to 50 mHz over the hours, especially after transmit rounds which also affected receiver temperature. The attached curly phase plot is what the receiver made of Domenico's 6.6-minute transmission at 20:40 UT - this was strong enough to let me easily tweak the freq offset, ending up at a magnificent 15.2 dB Eb/N0.
Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)