Re: LF: Automatic variometer circuit

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Automatic variometer circuit
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 17:21:58 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Its a   Bi phase  DC clamp  , the  amp has no gain as the  inv is linked to the  o/p   which is  ground , the  cap's probably  provide  a  little  transcendental   compliance

G,

Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 7:20 PM

Can I warn against one feature shown in the circuit diagram
The two 10uF electrolytics connected from the output of the first opamp to the supply rails should not be there.   They cause instability as opamps are not designed to drive capacitive loads and frequently go unstable.

If an opamp is used to deliver a mid voltage rail like this, the temptation to add extra decoupling should be avoided.   The opamp output gives a very low source impedance  that will not benefit from any extra decoupling.

If you do not get nay instability using that circuit as it stands, then you are very lucky  - or perhaps it is oscillating and not noticed

I recently fell into this trap quite accidentally.   It is so "natural" to want to  decouple supply rails with capacitors placed everywhere  that I placed several 100nF caps on a PCB without thinking.  All of them had to be removed to stabilise the resulting circuitry.

Andy  G4JNT