Re: LF: WSPR-X

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR-X
From: Tobias DG3LV <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 00:33:57 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Martin, Markus !

The soundcard has to be set to 48000 S/s at the hardware/driver level, this is vital!

(Windows standard is 44100 "Hz", DO NOT USE THIS FOR WSPR-X !)

prerequisite : close all programs using a soundcard before doing the following (or you will get warnings/errors from win7)

How-to on Win 7 : right click on the speaker-symbol at the taskline, select "recording devices", select your current device, click on properties, select the "advanced" tab, under "standard format" setting it to "2 channel,16Bit,48000 Hz(DVD-Quality)". At the volume tab of the input device, I had to set my input to "10" (percent?) to not overload WSPR-X.

click on OK to accept changes.

The dB-level shown at WSPR-X shall not exceed 40 dB (even at strong signals), around 30dB is said to be best. Adjust the input-volume level accordingly.

Set the same "2 channel,16Bit,48000 Hz(DVD-Quality)" to the output port. (maybe it has 24 bits as well, thats ok, too, but 48000 is mandatory)

WSPR-X at Windows 7 does not have a chance to set this settings by itself, as windows just tries to do a samplerate-conversion from 44100 in software, which is horrible for our purposes.

Another hint : please check the above mentioned setting to 48000 after each boot-up of win 7, my win7/64 is changing itself back to 44100 from time to time ! (bad habit)

Using all this settings, WSPR-X does decode very well and sensitive.

73 de dg3lv Tobias