Re: Re[2]: LF: Ground

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: LF: Ground
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:26:40 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
As to getting good contact between the rod and the ground is important..... mild steel rusting is likely to give poor and non-linear contact. Copper-clad steel is probably the best bet for hammering in. I have used copper water pipe or scrap CH piping. My method was to drive external steel (external) electrical conduit with rough teeth cut on the bottom. It was necessary to use a tripod and block to pull it out ! and then replace it with water pipe (which was a lot cheaper 10 years ago !)

In some instances salt has been used to improve contact to the soil, but it is not very "garden friendly" but gypsum available as a soil improver from garden centres is almost as good. It disolves more slowly and doesn't poison the soil. The disolved gypsum spreads out into the soil effecively increasing the area of the contact.

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Wilson" <[email protected]>