RE: LF: Re: Ground

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Re: Ground
From: "Hideho YAMAMURA" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 23:50:04 +0900
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=nifty.com; s=mar2011msa; t=1442760608; bh=6cfzQt2jLL5dJrktTaTwNcnp881Utxc0vbkFy9I8ztk=; h=From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:Message-ID: MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=UZYGh5TePIGBCODTYP9HgNpFoBwH4jp78XA7iWxWbXyFQ4G/lcPa9xdwRXm+KRFcZ 2s1tYMjJtUVqrcUAP8miKp6Ftao28H2wv7DwyFi4UVWG4yYjnBu6yYY7t/CHTmORh9 EpyGpp8ieqE/pOPWzhVYz3p751LrH9z5PJuBcEEY=
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Marcin,

My experience on 2200m seems to agree with Alan's suggestion.

I buried 6 sections of 30cm wide copper mesh at about 20cm deep,
10 to 15m long, totaling about 70m.

My first experiment was with a radiator 20m long hung from 22m tower,
at at least 4m horizontally spaced from the tower.
When I connected each section, and their combinations,
I found that some section worked better than others.
i.e. lower feed point resistance (measured with Antenna Analyzers, AA-54,
AA-600).
The tendency I found was;
Those directly visible from the radiator were good.
Those hardly visible from the radiator were rather useless,
 i.e. did not lower the feed point resistance when connected.
Those with the house or heavy trees in between made it worse,
 i.e. INCREASED the feed point resistance when connected.

I have to say also, that the tower as a ground-rod was
as good as the buried copper mesh ground.
The loss resistance at 136kHz (coil resistance removed) went
from 20.45ohm with tower-ground only
to 13.21ohm with best combination (tower and copper mesh).
The loss did not halve, after 5 days of exhausting hard work.
Obviously, the tower-ground was directly visible from the
entire length of the radiator.

The earth-resistance meter measurement said (at 820Hz, the standard)
15.7ohm with the tower-ground only,
5.6ohm with all connected (the more the lower, of course).
I had soil ground.
The resistivity was measured to be 98 ohm-meter at 136kHz,
using Open-Wire-Line method by N6LF.
The earth-resistance meter values and the
actual feed point resistance measurement did not correlate.

Later, I mounted my radiator on top of my house.
The effectiveness of each segment changed, but the tendency
remained the same.

Based on the above, I support Alan's suggestion :
 "measure and see", or "try and select".

BTW, I do not have much knowledge on the depth of the buried wire,
except that the skin depth of the soil at 136kHz is usually 10m or more.
I rather thought my copper mesh should be in good contact with the soil,
and that they will not come up uncovered to trap someone's feet,
after rain for example, and choose 20cm (which varied greatly in reality).
Maybe, little "resistive-soil" between the radiator and the buried-wire
is suggested.

  Hideho YAMAMURA / JF1DMQ