Re[2]: LF: Ground

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re[2]: LF: Ground
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:49:15 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Mike,

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

> Marcin,

> My experience is that a few earth rods work much better than
> electrically short radials on 136kHz.

> But when I operate on 160m, radials are much better than the earth
> rods.

> My soil is 1m of clay over chalk.

> Mike, G3XDV
> ===========

Out here in the sticks I used to buy 2 meter long heavy galvanised
angle iron ground stakes from the electric fencing people, but today I
found they have gone up to £28 plus VAT (20%) each! I bought 3 off
35mm OD 3mm wall thickness tubular hand rails, each 3.5 meters long,
off Ebay for £54 delivered, and these will make 6 good ground rods, I
hope. I did consider 22mm copper water pipe, but the moderns stuff is
so soft and thin walled I worried about getting them in, I can't
realistically run a water hose to some places I want to put them in,
to try the pressurised water down them, to erode the soil away, and
digging down say 4 feet is messy as I would at best have a hole 18 inches
square,  and  possibly  bigger  if  the  soil started to collapse. The
tractor  on the lawn with the post hole borer is a definite no no, the
wife would skin me alive if I left wheel ruts!

Anyone  know  how  much better galvanised "clean" rods are compared to
uncoated mild steel, that will rust in weeks?

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]