Re: LF: Eb/N0 values for amateur modes

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Eb/N0 values for amateur modes
From: Pieter-Tjerk de Boer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 22:17:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 10:15:24AM +1100, edgar wrote:

> In your email, in which mode grouping would DFCW 180 fit?

Not in any, really. I'm not aware of any (published) experiments having
been done to establish decoding thresholds for it, which I could use
to put it in the table.

Compared to regular CW transmitted at the same (peak) power, DFCW has
about 3 dB more average power because the transmitter is on continuously,
so just because of that, it should give better performance at the same
_peak_ power level. However, whether the performance difference is more
or less than 3 dB, and thus whether it is better or worse than CW at the
same _average_ power (as normally used for Eb/N0 calculation), is harder
to predict.

Regards,
  Pieter-Tjerk, PA3FWM