LF: RE: Re: Testing now a new RX antenna on MF

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Re: Testing now a new RX antenna on MF
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 18:03:44 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello André,

>so I need to use a 100 Hz filter to kill it, or I
>copy nothing....
>Of course, using such a sharp DSP filter
>here, means that the S/N reports ts not realist here.

I believe S/N reports are realistic in any BW
if you are telling the BW at which the SNR has been measured.
Unfortunately in many S/N reports the associated BW is missing.
and therefore they are quite meaningless.
Just look at the reception report list of SAQ transmissions...
Another problem is that quite a few SDR users mix up the
SNR seen on the FFT spectrum with the SNR referred to the receiving "IF"-BW
in which the signal is demodulated.
E.g., if your FFT is set to a bin width of say 5Hz and a carrier lies 20dB over
the DANL (displayed average noise level) it will have a SNR of zero dB in a
500Hz "IF"-bandwidth and therefore will be barely audible.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ