Re: Re: LF: Activity etc.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re: LF: Activity etc.
From: Tobias DG3LV <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:42:25 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Steinar !

"But maybe you prefer sitting before your laptop..."
Yes, I do ! Loooking at the spektra and waterfall of the entire 630m Band from 472 to 479 kHz on the wide screen of my SDR-TRX gives me the best impression about any activity on the band.

I can see an operator calling CQ at transsonic speed with no gaps between letters nor words, i can see him occupying the frequency of primary user "BIA" by lengthy CQ-loops. His CQ-QSX calls on 476 to 478 kHz are noticed as well as his ragchew QSOs with fellow LF-enthusiasts. FLdigi and CW-Get are decoding well, who wants to spend some money will get an almost perfect decode by CWskimmer.

WSQ is a different story. The program appeared to be an early alpha version with no choice of soundcard, no choice of decoding frequency and not any filtering of unwanted signals like constant spectral lines. Wolf DL4YHF ist doing his best to make an usable program out of the initial ideas. The version from yesterday (5.3.2014) looks promising.

The lack of QSO-activity of any mode is a social "problem" in my view. As the number of joining hams in a mode usually is limited, there are always "the same suspects" who can talk to each other or even can hear each other. After some time its getting boring and unpolite to have a QSO several times a day without any "news" to tell. So the number of QSOs is decreasing by the time, and people start to run endless CQ-loops to gain a QSO by force. Some are not answering another ham calling CQ but starting a CQ of their own instead. The subbands fill up with "beacons" by that.

There has to be a critical mass of people to keep a mode running. People have to know about any new mode, so a high level of publicity is mandatory to acheive that critical mass. (but exaggerating technical data up to the sky is not helpful, as we have seen in the past) Those who read this reflector are informed very well about any tests, but who in the outside world will notice ? It will take a time to establish a new mode for everyday use. There is a good chance that WSQ will become an effective keyboard to keyboard mode that is used frequently. Just a fortnight ago we first heard about it by you, its definitely too early to dismiss it.

sorri, long answer to a very short question...

73 de dg3lv Tobias