LF: Yahoo "neo"

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Yahoo "neo"
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:19:14 +0100
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
It looks like the web interface of the Yahoo rsgb_lf_group has finally been "upgraded" to the "neo" format, like most other groups before. I have to say I am not very happy about this.

When we discussed migrating from Blacksheep to Yahoo a couple of years ago, I was very much attracted by the fact that the web interface offered a searchable archive of past messages. It found it very useful to be able to access and link to older contributions, gradually building up a knowledge base, which could be extremely valuable both for newcomers and experienced experts.

With "neo", even though it is still possible to access a known message number, there no longer seems to be a function to search and browse past messages effectively. By scrolling to the bottom of the current messages page, older messages are being downloaded in groups of 30, but even on a fast internet connection it just takes ages to go back more than a couple of weeks. Using the "view" icon one can in principle look at past months, but again a targetted search for authors and contents is not doable. I didn't even manage generate a list of my own messages. Last not least, the screen layout is slow and overloaded with titlebars and sidebars, leaving little room for content. Maybe I would need an even newer enhanced browser, or download the latest flashplayer ad-serving gadgets?

At this stage, I honestly do no longer see any reason to prefer the Yahoo service from the venerable Blacksheep email group. What I would really like to have is a simple archive, similar to eg. the time-nuts group http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts - is this too much to ask in today's world?

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)