Re: LF: remote antenna tuning

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: remote antenna tuning
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 19:35:09 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=btcpcloud; t=1383944360; bh=L96rSmonvXF1HQ7ZgdkYdKLP0g/fFaaGH7B9asFPXYE=; h=Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Mailer; b=cOwaDaKy1Y1aQ7AUoCej4GjuCGajrMCZ8Ou7DDeOXLgi5AuIvX+M7XIosEIjc2byjiD2PhmCVyfeNHALgooo919jnG3X8W7xr290IuGM6oonHQTot4QmFEw6aS8pj0KNYoNJ/2xHMPd7kRrRX5G/usQPjfCrHB7MesBV13dGLYg=
Sender: [email protected]
Rik, Stefan, I follow your points but there would seem to be something strange in Rik's antenna or his appreciation of what/how its working.

Contrary to an earlier assertion, the antenna current flowing through Rrad generates the radiated power, so lower current, if Rrad doesnt change, MUST mean lower tranmitted power. It matters not that the SWR is unity. A unity SWR indication at the transmitter says that the impedance at the end of the coax is 50ohms, but it does not necessarily indicate the the the antenna is resonant i.e the inherent capacitance of a short antenna totally compensated by the loading inductance. If we assume that Rrad+Rloss does not change across the band the matching transformer should transform the value of Rrad+Rloss to 50 ohms across all the band. The coax will now be matched and will present 50ohms at the shack end. If this does not happen I would be inclined to suspect currents induced in the coax braid. SWR indicators can easily be confused by induced braid currents......could this be the cause of Riks strange effects? This might be a function of having a "better" ground in the shack than at the base of the antenna.

Alan
G3NYK