Re: LF: WSPR 15 tonite

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR 15 tonite
From: John Lutz <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 20:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=rocketmail.com; s=s1024; t=1382324703; bh=pHJL6anHmzm7o+K9RGgJ5A1v1IPRmo9WcDMdJI6iizU=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=BnSTMZ8m3vqLe1q0i+t6dxCYTOhi37eRawVygBaaQ4Gredvsc65bcKC5gtkgQ1XC42qnCW9gX6ULte/rkZYtve4lkWPJWBpW4HP+17H9H/mznvjVP5HNREKQ+QpR1nfDmSPpUlqHjW7dEJMheep8jbl2nl0ykp+t5MfAnHsMhFw=
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan,

Thanks for the quick reply and the encouragement regarding my choice of the IDC-136.  It is good to know others are using it with success.  It sounds like modifications to the receiver itself aren't really necessary.

I have to admit that I'm really surprised by the distances being achieved at 136 KHz.  I would have expected that a couple hundred miles would be the upper limit, and that even that far would be pretty infrequent.  After looking at the WSPRNet database, I can see that I was very mistaken about that.

I see lots of reception reports from you for G3XKR (940km), R7NT (2234 km), 4X1RF (2850 km), and many other distant stations.  I would never have thought this possible!   :-)

Regarding my antenna, I will initially use a 7.25 meter ground-mounted vertical.  Normally, I use it for 30-meter operation.  I am in the process of constructing a PA0RDT mini-whip.  I understand that "active" antennas of this type are fairly popular of LF/VLF work.

Again, thank you for taking time to respond to my email.  I hope to be WSPRNet active very soon.

73,

John / N9JL