Re: LF: WSPR 15 tonite

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR 15 tonite
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:50:23 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello John,

Well, don't think it is as easy as on HF. We can make the same distances BUT on HF we're talking about SSB or CW and on LF we're talking about DFCW-180 or so.
In WSPR-2 you can be detected at the antipodes with a few meters of wire thrown in the greenery and 5W by a QRP rig. On LF you need really BIG antennas and have to spend a lot of effort to reduce the losses and increase the radiation resistance. Furthermore you have to deal with several (sometimes dozens) of kV on the antenna. And you have (at least a bit) to understand what you're doing, while you can press the "auto-tune" button on modern HF rigs... That makes LF/MF a special community with challenging things to do :-)
I guess a "average" HF amateur can easily make > 10000 km in SSB while a well equipped amateur on LF struggles with WSPR-15 to make a > 3000 km range.

I'm looking forward to see your first results on the band! Will you intend to TX on the bands in the near future?

Still, what type and RX site are you going to use?

73, Stefan/DK7FC