LF: 74kHz - history

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 74kHz - history
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:09:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Bob, here is a potted history of the UK 73kHz band:

The  long term plan was always for a long-term international
allocation. This was going to take some time and so an interim
allocation was negotiated by the RSGB at 73kHz. This was shared with
some VERY loud commercial stations. Special permission had to be
requested to transmit, and the few of us who operated portable had to
specify when and where we would do it. As with your work, amateurs in
various countries participated by giving reception reports.

Later, the plan for an international allocation bore fruit, partly
because of our work on 73kHz demonstrating that amateurs would be
very unlikely to cause problems to commercial LF users, and we (and
others) got the 136kHz band. Most activity shifted to that new (and,
as you have found out, much easier) band, though several of us
continued with experiments on 73kHz from time to time. The 73kHz band
was eventually removed from UK amateurs following a change in the
commercial use of this part of the spectrum.

It is to be hoped that the work of you special licensees on 74, 136
and 472kHz will eventually lead to some full LF/MF allocations in the
US.

de Mike, G3XDV