Fwd: Re: LF: VK1OD's analysis of the MiniWhip antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Fwd: Re: LF: VK1OD's analysis of the MiniWhip antenna
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 00:38:28 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Pieter-Tjerk, LF,

Another point comes to my mind:

When thinking about the sketch you recently attached (here attached again), would you agree that here the shape of the probe is not irrelevant? I mean, a round plate which is in a horizontal position to ground should cause less potential difference (signal level) then a vertical thin wire with the same capacity.

BTW, capacity against what is the question. It's not the capacity against ground but to the far field i think. Here it becomes complex to me :-)

I try to compare it to a TX antenna. I see the TX antenna as a capacitor against ground. But the imaginary E field lines that go directly to ground are "useless", except for reduction of the needed L for resonance. This can be described as a fixed capacitor parallel to the loading coil. Ony the field lines that make a faaaaaaaar way will cause something that is described by a radiation resistance.
So back to the mini whip, the often stated 4 pF must be against "something useful", which is not the grounded pole. It must catch some of the field lines of the distant transmitter. And if the E fields of your sketch are from this transmitter it must be useful to cross as many as possible of the äquipotential lines, i.e. a long thin vertical wire should result in more signal voltage as a plate near the pole.

Or not?

73, Stefan/DK7FC

-------- Original-Nachricht --------