LF: Re: declared power on WSPR

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: declared power on WSPR
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 22:53:19 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1360104799; bh=wjLemF875RLCEPYPheWr/bTOlNfv3QVRZucXPfiDyfc=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=w49bVZSdJih81DRrHLlk/1X4sAedR0rhL3A7hT3YgKq1fTWyrxuaGl+HW4YO/lMUqcljklvKeGMpR7jhNm6CRF4jh2YvaD+DXgnYsEsjVWupfYjov8yk3G32CHXgVfYDzDFEL9EjxMZo0uyjrs2jSZob1p2Epxl+VlUPQ0y9D9I=
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Dimitris, LF Group,

You wrote:
I was browsing the WSPR database for MF and noticed that I am the only
one declaring a 50 W power. My TX power output is 50 W, however the
radiate power is just a tiny fraction of 1 W. What is the protocol for
WSPR? Advertise the Pout or the EIRP?

I think most people (myself included) make an estimate of ERP/EIRP and declare that, rather than TX power. After all, it is only the radiated power that counts as far as the receiving stations are concerned, and with huge differences between efficiencies of different stations' LF/MF antennas, the transmitter output by itself does not tell you much about what is being radiated. But the norm for HF WSPR seems to be to quote TX output power - probably reasonably similar to the radiated power on those bands, at least when simple antennas are used.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU