Re: LF: Listened on 472 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Listened on 472 kHz
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:25:12 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Petr
Direct CW Activity is lower than I expected. Especially the UK is disappointing. But so far I had QSO's every evening and I think I've now a dozen or so of DXCC entities in my log, still without Malta, Norway and Denmark, and of course Monaco. Propagation is changing very much not only from day to day, there is also a heavy and long QSB in this band. Sometimes stations are coming out of nowhere and popping up with 599, just to disappear a couple of minutes later. Here in the middle of Europe, surrounded by mountains and on rocky soil, the band is dead during the day. Ground wave propagation is far away from 136 kHz and goes no further than 100 or 200km. On the shore and in higher latitudes, it is probably different. But at night signals are good and the noise level depends on the china appliances my neighbor is using. Sometimes I'm working QSX 3.5 MHz and I had already very nice cross QSO’s with D, F and HB, also with ON on 500 kHz. Some stations are quite strong here and I hear them every night, like Mal, G3KEV, peaking up to 599. But there are a lot of QRP stations around with only a couple of Watts and modest antennas; they have faint signals buried in the noise. I think these stations are far away from the allowed EIRP. Here I’m compensating my bad antenna built on sand stone (100 Ohm loss, 300mOhm radiation res.) with 500 Watts. So I come probably close to the allowed 5W EIRP. I'm not interested in WSPR or any beacon mode. Why should I? I know that my CW signal covers whole Europe under good condx and I like to make CW contacts.
73 de Toni, HB9ASB, JN36nu