Re: LF: WSJT-X v0.5 r2783

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSJT-X v0.5 r2783
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:54:38 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=cjWO+2TxVqQkxripjtvuEvxxVWZx7Q63km3Omu0rc9w=; b=Mhtc2I+3VXyY7Ptgd87qxwQvTTEIfUgfrhDoR56IB44HXNhiGzmt6atX1ehIdxmgc+ E107Xg1Ta6u1DOYlWX/YDk9h5ILV/dTYdwhnwyiyj9CySwCD88wpfGWGOY0YHaJvFsMK LnDKi12Dgrmm8P5o/MQsH3/MrX/mGZ0GRJPKm6Kbewsoh7DqK3Mv1xzeZyYzN7jBgxQv WwY77vKI+aTtIkGd7jOAz5Q2Xk+oHdLCfh5jZgmoO6x+sw7Dk0fhu1QE6lpgoQlz7NJM B5djOgeDD+2m4QhOXrDMNgXm27dD9rf/UdaUBehpRqCcBWtffiARQwdeXV74ndZCKzIZ gMag==
Sender: [email protected]
Joe,
   Installing it in the root directory worked fine, many thanks!
73 Warren

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Joe Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Warren,
>
> Install WSJT-X into its own directory (the suggested default is C:\WSJTX)
> rather than the conventional C:\Program Files\WSJTX.
>
>         -- Joe, K1JT
>

> On 11/28/2012 1:14 PM, Warren Ziegler wrote:
>>
>> Hello the list,
>>
>>      I have installed WSJT-X from Prof. Taylor's web site on my Win XP
>> machine.
>> When I click on the WSJT-X icon I get a pop-up "Error starting or
>> running program C:\Program Files \wsjtx\jt9-s "
>> and then the Windows error reporting box pops up.
>>
>>     Do I need something other than Windows XP Professional Service pack 3
>> ?
>>
>>    73&  tnx!
>>
>> Warren K2ORS
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Joe Taylor<[email protected]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> To:   Users of WSJT-X
>>> From: Joe Taylor, K1JT
>>>
>>> A new revision of the experimental program WSJT-X has been posted.  As
>>> usual, a link to it appears on the WSJT web site:
>>>
>>> http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html
>>>
>>> The following is a direct link to the installation file:
>>>
>>> http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJTX_05r2783.exe
>>>
>>> This revision has an unusually large number of changes relative to the
>>> previous release, v0.4 r2746.  These changes include:
>>>
>>> 1. PTT control via COM ports COM10 and higher is enabled.
>>>
>>> 2. Improved decoder performance: higher speed as well as better chances
>>> of
>>> success.  Moderate amounts of frequency drift are detected and
> [...]
>>> are now included in file wsjtx_rx.log.
>>>
>>> 8. Editing of Tx messages (in any of the six Tx message boxes) is
>>> complete
>>> when you hit "Tab" or "Return".  The message is then parsed and converted
>>> the form in which it will be displayed if decoding is successful.
>>> Free-text
>>> messages are trimmed to 13 characters and highlighted with a pink
>>> background.
>>>
>>> 9. The most recent transmitted message is displayed in the right-most
>>> label
>>> on the status bar.  This can be useful if you have lost track of where
>>> you
>>> were in a QSO.
>>>
>>> 10. By default, the program now starts with Monitor ON.  An option on the
>>> Setup menu allows you to select "Monitor OFF at startup".
>>>
>>> 11. Better scaling is provided for the red "JT9 Sync" curve.  Note that
>>> JT9
>>> signals in the active sub-mode should appear in this plot as a bump of
>>> width
>>> equal to the total signal bandwidth, with a narrow and slightly higher
>>> bump
>>> at the left edge.  The narrow bump is the frequency of the Sync tone,
>>> which
>>> is defined as the nominal frequency of the JT9 signal.
>>>
>>> 12. Basic QSO information is now written to file wsjt.log when you click
>>> the
>>> "Log QSO" button.
>>>
>>> 13. The WSJT-X User's Guide has been updated.
>>>
>>> 14. Other known bugs have been fixed.  There will probably be new ones!
>>> When you find one, or if you know of any old ones that have NOT been
>>> fixed,
>>> please send me email.
>>>
>>> Summary of Present Status
>>> I believe that WSJT-X is now a stable and very usable program.  Many
>>> thousands of QSOs have been made with JT9-1, mostly at HF -- I have made
>>> nearly 100, myself.  Also a number of QSOs have also been completed at
>>> MF,
>>> and successful tests have been made on 2m EME, etc.  A number of QSOs
>>> have
>>> also been made with JT9-2.
>>>
>>> As far as I know the slower modes (JT9-5, JT9-10, and JT9-30) also work
>>> correctly.  (Certainly they do in my laboratory test setup.)  Most people
>>> will find these modes too slow for "everyday" use, and they require high
>>> frequency stability.  It remains to be seen whether they will be widely
>>> used.
>>>
>>> An alternative approach to obtaining improved sensitivity would be to
>>> give
>>> the decoder an ability to average over several successive transmissions.
>>> For example, the average of five JT9-1 transmissions could reach a
>>> decoding
>>> threshold around -32 dB, only 2 dB worse than a single JT9-5
>>> transmission.
>>> Because of QSB, the shorter transmissions may actually succeed in less
>>> time.  Stability requirements would be those of JT9-1, much less

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ