Re: LF: Off air due to fire

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Off air due to fire
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:53:58 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Mike,

I'm very sorry to hear about that! You're the most active station in the UK these days so it's a big loss in this season :-/ At least you have the insurance and there are no human losses! Maybe it is a warning to other active stations.

An alternative to a smoke warning device could be a alarm bell that starts to run when the PTT is pressed but the PA current is below a certain adjustable threshold. It is not difficult to realise, a simple comparator and a relay that switches the bell, for example. This bell will start to run when the wire falls down or the antenna is strongly out of resonance and so on, which may be helpful as well. E.g. it prevents a blow up of a class E PA due to dramatic mismatch in case of heavy load of snow on the TX system and so on. Of course the relay could disable the PTT as well!

73, Stefan/DK7FC