Re: LF: SM6BGP

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: SM6BGP
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:19:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Wolf,

Am 25.11.2012 18:36, schrieb wolf_dl4yhf:

Am 25.11.2012 17:41, schrieb Stefan Schäfer:
MF,

SM6BGP is running a QRSS-3 BEACON at 472.2 kHz. Mal, what do you think about that? ;-)

Similar as I do, even though I don't always agree with Mal.
Don't we have enough (commercial) MF beacons ?
Enough commercial beacons: yes. Enough amateur beacons: no!

There are many amateurs who like to receive beacons for various reasons. But usually amateurs want to receive signals generated by amateurs, not any signal by whatever commercial station. Otherwise we could argue " Why the hell do we make that terrible effort to arrange a LF transmit system and generate our own signals although we have DCF-39 and HGA-22? Our signals will never be as strong as that of DCF-39..." It is a nice part of amateur work at MF/LF to generate beacon signals just for fun and to receive them just for fun. For example i simply like to be on air, QSO mode or not, it doesn't matter. It is the fascination to know that some RF energy is radiated from this piece of wire hanging in the air in this moment. You know on LF it is hard to find a QSO mode station at all. So i transmit in beacon mode when it is not likely that someone answers my CQ on 137.7, like a few hours ago! For MF it is the same. Of course QSOs are preferred.

Why not move our own beacons to the upper end of the band, in the vincinity of the other beacons, and closer the QRSS / digimode area where beaconing doesn't cause so much hassle as near the 'CW frequency', where most CW receivers are "parking in idle" ?
I fully agree! "We" should establish a QRSS center frequency somewhere outside the CW region. But the band is young and i guess that time will find a solution, hopefully.

73,
 Wolf

(thinking twice if its worth to try CW around 472.3 kHz tonight.. sigh...)
I am calling CQ all the time during writing this email :-) Saw that DF5QG worked SM6BGP in the DX cluster. Hopefully he is still not sleeping ;-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC