Re: LF: Off air due to fire

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Off air due to fire
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:13:17 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Yes , walking  round  in the  dark  looking  for  corona arc's from the  Ae  system  is a  little  disconcerting  , especially  if you  have  cables  routed  inside buildings , where  'hot'  spots  could be  nu-observed

Well  , the  best  fire  suppression  I have  see  (in action and never in action)  both  of  which are  ' heat  triggered mechanical - fail  safe'

Rally  cars  , with a   GAS  extinguisher   , with  pvc  pipe   routed  round  the  engine  bay  and   inside the  car  , where  a  fire  breaks  out , melts the  pipe  and  fires the  extinguisher  , can  have  multiple exit points  if the  pipe  is  ruptured in more than  one  place  -

Under ground  (mining) power  distribution  , portable  Sub-Stations  had a  'large'  fire  bottle  and  solid  pipe  distribution  system, with a  'nylon'  cord  connected to  the  valve  , with a  'big'  weight ,  if there  was  a  transformer 'fire'  the  nylon   cord melted  , weight  activated the  'long leaver'  valve by  gravity  and  the  whole  bottle  discharged  into the    equipment

Unfortunately   BCF is  no longer  legal  ( but  I think  still  used in  aircraft and other  last  ditch  systems) ideal   medium

If the  coil  is  in a  B+Q  shed , them may be either  system  would  work   , but the  pvc  pipe  method  could  be  simper to  arrange  ?

G..

Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:53 PM

Hello Mike,

I'm very sorry to hear about that! You're the most active station in the UK these days so it's a big loss in this season :-/ At least you have the insurance and there are no human losses! Maybe it is a warning to other active stations.

An alternative to a smoke warning device could be a alarm bell that starts to run when the PTT is pressed but the PA current is below a certain adjustable threshold. It is not difficult to realise, a simple comparator and a relay that switches the bell, for example. This bell will start to run when the wire falls down or the antenna is strongly out of resonance and so on, which may be helpful as well. E.g. it prevents a blow up of a class E PA due to dramatic mismatch in case of heavy load of snow on the TX system and so on. Of course the relay could disable the PTT as well!

73, Stefan/DK7FC