Re: LF: WSPR on LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR on LF
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:20:29 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi George,

There is no chance for you to display normal WSPR from me over that distance in a spectrogram. Maybe you could display WSPR-32 but this is still to optimistic i think. We really have to start in something like QRSS-120 or DFCW-180 and then see what comes out.

I have no idea how to set Argo for optimal displaying DFCW-180 since i don't use the new version of the program. Furthermore i am very convinced by using Spectrum Lab for LF/MF detection. Yes, the program is much more complex but it offers some essential features! The band limiting and noise blanking will reduce the QRN very significantly! The improvement can vary from a few to 10 dB, depending on the kind of noise. I will try to generate a new spectrogram soon, showing this effect. I don't know if Argo allows noise cancelling. But if you loose say 6 dB SNR, that makes a difference from invisible to O copy.

Did you try the Twente WEB SDR link i sent you? This is also useful to check if the reference signal you're using is available at present. I'm daily listening to AM BCD stns for many hours a day :-)

As said, if you like i can give you some advice how to run a DCF-plot.

73, Stefan/DK7FC