Re: LF: : Opera frequency usage and clicks, and over the Pole

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: : Opera frequency usage and clicks, and over the Pole
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:36:02 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Laurence and all,

Am 30.08.2012 19:18, schrieb Laurence KL7UK:
Thanks G  I can/could go comm port keying but prefer the audio being lazy.-

 it appears in my set up that the rise time is very short and less than the 5mSec thats generally accepted as required hence the click - but Im sure Im seeing more than just the first rise of the sine, Ill do some more delving -  but Im sure the software could be make more soft with a slower ramp as done on Markus' Chirpix and some of the PSK programs - It appears to be an anomoly with only Opera here? Am I alone?
Certainly not. I was also a bit annoyed by keying clicks (not only from Opera though).

A smooth ramp wouldn't cost much, and certainly will not affect the 'average power' since there are not so many on/off transitions. From the software side, this should be extremely easy to implement (for "audio driven" linear transmitters).

The problem may be for people with hard-keyed ("brutally on/off keyed") transmitters, where the driving circuit may play havoc when fed with low input amplitudes.
But imho, for someone capable of building a large antenna, a large amplifier, etc etc, it shouldn't be too difficult to provide an adequate keying circuit either by modulating the DC supply voltage or similar means.

"A simple on/off keyed CW transmitter" without envelope shaping may be ok for QRP experiments but not for QRO on a crowded (?) band. This applies to LF, MF, and HF. Almost as bad (but often seen on 40 meters): Transmitter putting out a nicely shaped amplitude ramp, but a terrible power amplifier, completely overdriven, which completely removes the amplitude ramp or shortens it to fractions of a millisecond (i.e. clicking "bandwidth" in excess of one kHz).

All the best,
   Wolf  DL4YHF .