LF: Opera frequency usage

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Opera frequency usage
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:09:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: [email protected]
Sorry, no joy here from John's Op-8 last night, due to several adverse conditions:

- relatively high QRN levels. Little one can do about it - the ol' rule "listen when QRN is low, transmit when it's high" is probably the best guide for intercontinental LF work.

- wrong RX frequency: I had set up my 2 Hz wide recording on 137561 and went to bed before John's update arrived...
In my opinion, splitting subbands for different Opera submodes is not a good idea. I don't see a technical need for it, and it eats up a lot of bandwidth, especially with the software's automatic frequency selection. Anyway the 137.5-.6 band overlaps typical WSPR usage (137.4-.6). And the area above 137.6 (especially the DCF gap around 137.63) would be the best choice for QRSS-3 or 10 QSOs.

- DK7FC was active on a nearby frequency during most of the night. In conjunction with the noise blanker the RX is desensitized by the a nearby strong signal. The problem is exacerbated by high density of keyclicks in Opera (5 to 8x more than QRSS), and that most seem to apply hard keying. Trying to interleave operating times (eg. even vs odd days, or hours) is probably not a satisfactory solution.

If we seriously consider using Opera for intercontinental work, I believe that we should include it in the existing splitband scheme, with widely spaced subbands for East-to-West and West-to-East operation (the well-proven "TA" and "Eu" slots). For example, we could place a narrow Opera slot beneath each of the QRSS segments. So, open to discussion, here is one proposal for slow-mode band usage:

137.77-137.78 W->E DX QRSS, DFCW 30..180
137.76-137.77 W->E DX Op 32

137.60-137.75 mid range QRSS, DFCW 3..10
137.50-137.60 mid range Op 2..8
137.40-137.50 WSPR

136.17-136.18 E->W DX QRSS, DFCW 30..180
136.16-136.17 E->W DX Op 32

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)