LF: SDR 0..1MHz A oppertunity for design !

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: SDR 0..1MHz A oppertunity for design !
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:00:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
For  those who  may  not  look  on the  Ya-BOO   group  , I started a  discussion  over  using  a  simple  ADC for  LF/MF  .. turns  out  there  are  linux  drivers  for the   ezeycap  sdr  dongle to  run  directly  on LF/HF  , with  NO   analogue  convertor  . but  as  yet  , no  windows  version  ..

This  post  from Alberto  follows  the  idea   with a suggestion   to  use  a  instrument  ADC  , to   configure a  0 > 1 MHz   SDR RX  with  minimal  components

73 -G..

Re: SDR 0..1MHz

--- In rsgb_lf_group@..., Alberto di Bene <dibene@...> wrote:

> Thinking about an SDR receiver meant for the 0..1 MHz band, a possible,
> minimal hardware-wise realization could perhaps be that of using an Analog
> Devices AD-7760 ADC, with its superb SNR, sampling at 2.5 MHz, 24 bits,
> followed by a Cypress FX2 chip to implement a USB dialog with the PC.
>
> No FPGA nor DDC would be needed. The hardware would then send
> a 2.5 MHz stream of digitized data to the PC, which will process them
> with, e.g. Winrad. Winrad is quite capable of coping with such data rate.
> In this very moment I am listening with Winrad and the Elad FDM-S1
> receiver to a local MW station, and the FDM-S1 is set for a final output
> frequency (after its DDC) of 3072 kHz. So 2.5 MHz would be a breeze for
> Winrad.
>
> If somebody designs and builds such a hardware, I am more than willing to
> write an ExtIO DLL to interface Winrad with it.
>
> 73 Alberto I2PHD

Alberto,

Well that's a most interesting idea !, checking on e-bay , the two chips are
about £18 the pair . that only leaves the slight problem of the design

However .. there is a development board + support for the ADC

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/eval_boards/EVAL-AD7760_7762EDZ.pdf

But as to how much of it is 'actually' needed for this application
remains to be seen ..

But what ever the outcome , it would be a true 0>1 MHz Rx with very little
problems, compared to the problems of the 'race to DC' from the analogue
converter option's !

73 -G.