Re: LF: Test signal needed, observations...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Test signal needed, observations...
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 01:19:39 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Jan, Rik, MF,

I have made some measurements and observations:

When using the active E field antenna while having the transmit antenna in resonance, the signal levels are 10 dB higher then with a de-resonated antenna. So there is definitely a coupling between then. HOWEVER the S/N is much better when the transmit antenna is out of resonance. This can clearly be heared because i'm using a medium fast AGC now (USR file of my last mail), so the lower audio levels become compensated. But the QRN is very clearly louder than the background noise. So there is a receive improvement (in this location) when the transmit antenna is out of resonance! Now, the higher local QRM could be produced in the first amp stage of the active antenna or is could come from the transmit antenna itselfe. So i have connected the receiver to the transmit antenna and used a switchable attenuator in series and set about to the same signal level. The RX and netbook was running on batteries during the test. When comparing these results (small active E field antenna versus large transmit antenna) the S/N (e.g. of IQ2MI) of the small antenna is clearly higher! In other words, the MF earth seems to be contaminated by QRM!

That means my receive sensitivity is another important step better than a few days ago...

73, Stefan/DK7FC