Re: LF: VO1NA - Venezuela opening

To: [email protected], "YV7MAE Maritn A. Echazarreta D." <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: VO1NA - Venezuela opening
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 14:42:55 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dex, Joe, Martin, LF,

Congratulations for the new continent Joe!! Is that your 4th?

Dex, sunrise in YV is arround 10 UTC these days.

There is a problem with the dropbox upload. An error massage comes up. We will have to work on that today. However the Teamviewer link worked and so i was able to see the ongoing SpecLab instances. XKO was way stronger than yesterday, a clear O copy! We'll publish the screenshots later. Probably there was also a stronger copy of VO1NA and maybe others as well. Very interesting changing conds. Also the wideband window is very interesting i find. It clearly shows that the noise is 15...20 dB above the RX+soundcard noise on each frequency in the LF band.

Tnx to the US+CA stns for providing LF amateur signals. That is definitively helpful to get impressions about the path and understand the grabber as a useful device! My first mail to Martin with the idea for a common LF project is dated March, 29th. And here we are! :-)

We'll go on to play with an active E field antenna which may reduce the loacl QRM a bit. Currently a 80m long wire is used for reception. It is about 5m above the ground in average. One part is close to the house. By analyzing a wav file taken in YV i saw in a fast scrolling spectrogram that there is still significant local QRM between the massive sferics.

Also i think with this wav file it may be possible to find more suitable settings for the noiseblanker. While the NB settings in DL or EU are optimised to reduce the QRM of DCF39, there may be more efficient settings for YV which concentrate on the sferics! So maybe we can get another dB or even 2?

Lastly we're having first thoughts about constructing a loop antenna, maybe one which is sililar to the K9AY type...

73, Stefan/DK7FC