Re: LF: IEEE488

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: IEEE488
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 20:23:40 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

R Martin

Well that's the problem, we all know what the kit can do , but there are only a few who can tap the keys and make it perform ..

Like Jim mentioned , other modes , now , I think the read/refresh rate of a counter/timer and your f-gen over the ieee would be fast enough to follow a slow qrss , mfsk opera or other single carrier mode , by reading , process , output to the f-gen a sort of eccentric cam software mechano chain drive .... with a limit switch hihi ,must be HP dev guy about ??

That's the problem, software people , ( may be by default) are not pioneering and the hardware gang never did get the idea of a keyboard ! Everyone though the Opera idea was crazy , (most still do:) , its far removed from the simple data system that I envisaged , but I had no idea , as to how advanced the world of DSP actually was .. still not quite sure , but there a lot of apples laying about for some reason !!

807 6v6 ef50 cv138 still got boxes of those in the shed along with all the other big lumps of transformers and things that would probably go bang if powered up . as kit and age advanced retreated indoors to the warm !

I think your keying relay would be OK for OP8 .as long as the pull in and release times are well matched to retain the envelope shape .. this side of the DSP engine is a bit of a mystery , basically, the closer to the original time envelope and frequency stability , the better will be the decode min s/n (low % improvements )

I think pulse 'jitter' would be a problem on the higher (shorter) versions ...... could you not use blocking keying or a pin diode switch ? ,,,,,,,,,Racal use to use TTL logic gate chips to switch oscillator lines , by holding one side of a (and) hi or low ..... or use a opp-amp as linear switch ...

GL - 73 -G..