Re: LF: UK Ae mast planning info

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: UK Ae mast planning info
From: pat <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 22:16:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Peter,

I offered that as an impartial legal guidance to what is an oft
misunderstood facet of the planning practice. I am not an expert but
have been engaged in such issues on my own behalf and decided to employ
an expert to handle mine.

The Linux issue is a subject of interesting debate. I am in no way an
expert computer buff but I got started with a thing called MK14 back in
the pre-ZX80 days. I think that around Ipswich/Felixstowe/Martlesham
etc. in those days there was at least one person (usually a radio
amateur) experimenting with just about every processor type.

A lot of us were "ex-duffle coat wearers" and doing things
'off-the-mainstream' and making mistakes - but learning.

Ok, there may be an argument about Linux desktops vs. Windows desktops
but how much does that really matter? Apart from the clumsiness involved
in trying to run a few bits of legacy application software, Linux
provides almost all of the functionality I need at a very low cost. If
Bill Gates is so wedded to the idea that the whole PC world should only
run his OS and applications why is he not also turning out the hardware
- or is that the next step -"Totalitarian Computing Inc.".
Windows has its place but it's nice to step outside and breath the real
air. Apart from the world of servers etc. (which I do agree it's well
suited to) Linux does also seem to be the highly acceptable basis for a
growing number of "connected" technologies.
I will certainly grant the point that Microsoft have made major
contributions to the availability of computing in many fields but I
think it must also be conceded that clever marketing and ruthless use of
patent and copyright law have been factors.

Anyway 'nuff of that

73

--
73 es gd dx de Pat G4GVW, Nr Felixstowe, East Coast, UK