Re: LF: Basic LF understanding

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Basic LF understanding
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 00:44:36 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Thanks Alan, Piotr, Mike and Trevor for the valuable informations. I forwarded several mails to the newcomer :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC

Am 02.05.2012 15:46, schrieb Piotr Mlynarski:
W dniu 2012-05-01 22:53, Stefan Schäfer pisze:
LF!

Has someone a very good link to basic understanding about LF? I mean the LF amateur radio stuff, all which one has to learn when starting rx-wise in our hobby! Maybe some ideas and examples, a good compliation. Not to complex and focusing on 137 kHz amateur radio? For newcomers in the "LF-transmit-world" i recommend ON7YD's page http://www.strobbe.org/on7yd/136ant/
Is there maybe something for receive newcomers?

A collection of some links may help as well...

Thanks in advance.

73, Stefan/DK7FC

Hi Stefan, LF
In my opinion the basic info for ' LF receive newcomers' should be divided into 3 topics. While the first one shoud provide knowledge about propagation of long waves the second one should provide basic information about modulation techniques used at LF. The third part might cover technical ideas/schematics concerning receiving antennae ( either active or passive), filters, pre/ampifiers
impedance matching issues etc... - here you are an expert... :)

Concerning the modulation techniques i would still recommend the excellent Rik, ON7YD website but with different page:
http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/136narro.htm#QRSS
IMO, this is the best starting info i have ever found...

According to LF propagation effects - i would definitely ask Alan Melia for the info upon this issue For those who like to do little math ( just for fun or for more serious purposes) i would advice to look at the following paper:
http://www.qsl.net/dk2fi/lw/lfprop1.pdf

those above are just first thoughts etc.... Yours, Piotr, sq7mpj

qth:/Lodz/