Re: LF: LF ferrite RX antennas

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: LF ferrite RX antennas
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 23:53:05 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1325548368; bh=O94ivNgbJsENptNrTYnOypyHijvWmP4rUtcaAcZwGSE=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=DOgr2lAat9th3AWDHn0qysCI+QWzLylYKByoSoIWroFw5T4/vu4eH4gAi4s+lxFq4XCnsP6SakfcTL5jUQ1l2WJ1sqbq8hR4lilDoH/kuj00jLAo6Ty8AQMgrCHAYH5k6g0B/524ovrdmHlhMVCzViC2fNAjtt5DNFDQxNNi8dc=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=fEG9kCH8Tq2AQCsfOXtsrVazJm7E6eD4F1z3N/h+o7Zr7SsOsxMUQzARMeqdir5Lph1lYu5JYfML4giLWRUPPKQsBV9xtDLZOx97UhDhR1wn8jDPTG+PDAiKJjAbXy8Kvgp2QT8/Kbrx7BX8J5WcS+EZYjiZH96ySI0BK0Ysfb0= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Doug, LF Group,

I wonder.....if someone were to make a large enough ferrite core antenna
(not for portable use), would it even need amplification? The cost and/or
size would probably be prohibitive.

Some calculations and experiments were done a few months ago on this topic... The point of the experiments was to see if it were possible to make a portable ferrite rod antenna of 300mm length or less that would give reception limited only by the external noise, i.e. where on a quiet band, the band noise would still dominate the internal noise due to the rod antenna/preamp/RX. It turned out to be fairly easy to achieve this using appropriate preamp designs, and at that time both DK7FC and myself came up with satisfactory working antennas. My conclusion was that, although there is quite a bit of variation between ferrite rod antennas of different thickness, material, shape, windings etc, you can say that a ferrite rod antenna and an air-cored loop will yield very roughly the same signal level if the diameter of the loop is the same as the length of the rod.

The signal output of a 300mm rod or loop antenna is very small, and a preamp is definitely needed for commercially available receivers, which have much too high a noise figure to use such an antenna directly. The output can be increased by scaling up the area of the loop, or length of the rod. Quite a few LF amateurs have made tuned loops a few metres in diameter that provide enough signal to drive a decent receiver directly. For portable use, a 300mm long rod antenna is certainly a more convenient thing to carry around than a 300mm diameter loop. No doubt you could scale up the rod antenna for fixed use, but a suitable chunk of ferrite a few metres long would be very expensive, very heavy, and not really have any advantage compared to the air-cored loop. I'm not sure if there is much practical advantage in eliminating the preamp, but if you wish to do so, a large air-cored loop is probably the most practical solution.

KB4OER wrote:
Mal, you lost me on this one. Are you suggesting I (or we.....here in North America) erect large verticals, inv L systems, >Rhombics, and V beams in order to receive EU LF signals?
I thought I was doing pretty well with my micro RX antenna!

I think everyone apart from G3KEV thinks so too! Don't take too much notice of Mal's opinions - however often he repeats them, they remain nonsense ;-)

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU