Re: LF: Dual OPERA Beacon 500K OP2+OP15

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Dual OPERA Beacon 500K OP2+OP15
From: Minto Witteveen <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 21:47:02 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:x-priority:x-msmail-priority :importance:x-mailer:x-mimeole; bh=Eb8ZNSCo2ToWdWDZf3x8aqjuC/pTGd5rVi2NQX7i+kU=; b=Wfzpz4R0xtk6ynfgZ3kbbDqBUXqj3RKLqtYkBVlf2OI5AnEiJ7luq8APybyvK7N31z JfLVJiVNZHEfD3e+d9K1FhgKFsDj30F7K0emiEnRV5tsM1gs9t6HQIOOnkogc/24pj4i IwFAnSowRSAweca7zrmndroOMJWHK+l+zS4H0=
Sender: [email protected]

I am not convinced that this Opera beaconing (experiment??) is a good thing, that is to say not as it is currently conducted on 500. For some reason the frequencies that are used are smack in the middle of the ‘normal’ CW part of 500. Why not go to the (upper) band edge like WSPR? Already I have experienced some annoying interference, after calling CQ on 502 and/or 502.5 I heard more than one Opera sig on 502.0 and 502.2 – right through my CQ. Probably no operator listening or Opera not checking the QRG? Just now I heard PA3CW calling CQ on 502.00. Halfway through his CQ an Opera beacon started ON EXACT THE SAME FREQUENCY. Dick PA3CW did respond (with ..--..) to the CW-like Opera beacon but to no avail..

So please let’s agree on the band edges for these types of beacons. They have their use and are fun to work/play with, but as I understand it they do not need much bandwidth so moving to a confined area the band edge(s) should not be a problem. And select one. I see (hear) an Italian beacon day and night somewhere above 501. Another 500 Hz of the 3 KHz allocated lost for CW.

Regards, Minto pa3bca

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse