Re: LF: Dual OPERA Beacon 500K OP2+OP15

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Dual OPERA Beacon 500K OP2+OP15
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 22:13:32 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=7c5gfVIaEvVCpnS31PUJGCkPALq3XNVc2HckiVOVMnQ=; b=adxu32pQFBqyid5l+lamjucACvlhHDoOnOAb7preDwJb8t4ni8v9o2Q6G+SC5zD6jf H0JBLrQbGKZlxQele7IfofmjXv02L2IGfcm0yImtTRd+YOgdXzcpjQN9x2x6v5kwpGCx m+pmSguGf7k1zdMC+TWONwrZftte93m2sWsfI=
Sender: [email protected]
Morally, sort of, and certainly for technical and self training reasions,
I think we should only be using modes we know the innards of.
Thei should apply to amateur radio generally - there is no excuse for
authors keeping schemes to themselves (except perhaps financial,
patent and IP reasons -lilke D-STAR -  but that would be a case of
commercial systems being used anyway)

However, having taken a cursory look at the coding trying a variety of
callsigns (like ANON, ANOB, ANOC, BNON etc)
it doesn't look that complicated, and appears to have a simple
systematic part to it.

The callsign appears to take up the first 33 bits, which seems about
right for a simple uncompressed letter + character encoding (unlike
WSJT's systematic and more-rigourous scheme for getting teh callsign
into 28 bits)     There doesn't seem to be interleaving.   The coding
seems the same for each speed setting, with around 230 bit periods per
transmission. And  I'm a bit more convinced its something like
Manchester coding, in which case that means only 130 active bits,
although the Manchester like coding, if soft-decision decoded
sensibly, could add something to the error correction process.

But any proper code-breaking would take ages unless its possible to
turn the output tones into '1's and '0'  for software analysis so
don't hold your breath !

Andy
www.g4jnt.com