Re: LF: Opera - more questions

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Opera - more questions
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:39:15 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
On 11 January 2012 15:23, Mike Dennison <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have been trying to follow all of the excitement about Opera.
> However, unless I have missed something, there seems to be very
> little real information about it. My apologies if this has already
> been explained.
>
> It is promoted as an alternative to CW/QRSS, but will it run with an
> on/off keyed oscillator and a Class D transmitter, or is it yet

Yes

> another sound card + SSB Tx + linear amp mode?

No.

> What is its bandwidth? Can it be used in close proximity to existing
> QRSS stations?
on 137kHz, 0.5Hz or 0.125Hz (2s or 8s symbols)

> Does it need very accurate Tx/Rx settings like WOLF does?

No

> What are the computer requirement? I run QRSS easily on an old
> machine with very little RAM and a slow CPU. Will I need a state-of-
> the-art PC for Opera. Does it use fewer resources for Rx only?

Not sure - 2GHz XP  machine just ticks over

> The results of G4WGT/VO1NA are very impressive, not because of the
> power level (several stations have crossed the Atlantic with 400mW
> ERP), but because of the very short time taken to pass each callsign.
> Why is it so efficient?

Because its a properly encoded waveform with error correction and
proper spource coding.
QRSS is a VERY inefficient way of sending data

> Is a QSO mode envisaged, or is it another beacon-only system?

Only the authors will know that :-)

> It would really help to see a web site with some bullet points about
> it, some screen shots and a single download source. I am reluctant to
> download any software without finding out in advance whether it would
> be useful to me, or even whether it would run on my shack PC.

Just do it, try it.  You can always delate afterwards !