LF: Opera - more questions

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Opera - more questions
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:23:32 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
I have been trying to follow all of the excitement about Opera.
However, unless I have missed something, there seems to be very
little real information about it. My apologies if this has already
been explained.

It is promoted as an alternative to CW/QRSS, but will it run with an
on/off keyed oscillator and a Class D transmitter, or is it yet
another sound card + SSB Tx + linear amp mode?

What is its bandwidth? Can it be used in close proximity to existing
QRSS stations?

Does it need very accurate Tx/Rx settings like WOLF does?

What are the computer requirement? I run QRSS easily on an old
machine with very little RAM and a slow CPU. Will I need a state-of-
the-art PC for Opera. Does it use fewer resources for Rx only?

The results of G4WGT/VO1NA are very impressive, not because of the
power level (several stations have crossed the Atlantic with 400mW
ERP), but because of the very short time taken to pass each callsign.
Why is it so efficient?

Is a QSO mode envisaged, or is it another beacon-only system?

It would really help to see a web site with some bullet points about
it, some screen shots and a single download source. I am reluctant to
download any software without finding out in advance whether it would
be useful to me, or even whether it would run on my shack PC.

Can anyone help?

73 de Mike, G3XDV