Re: LF: Tuning inductance for 137kHz receive.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Tuning inductance for 137kHz receive.
From: "Martin Evans" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 21:23:19 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Yes - I was given this tip by someone else yesterday, Kevin ( my apologies to the original tipster - I'm in another location now, and can't recall who it was!).

As you say, the problem is to find such a radio these days - though I'm certainly going to look out for one because 0.3mH to 2.8mH is an ideal range to have.

Martin.  GW3UCJ

Here is one effortless method that I have used for years to tune a random wire for LF reception:

First, find an old AM car radio that tunes with three ganged movable ferrite slugs and extract the tuning unit. The three coils are all shielded from each other and can be series connected in any order and polarity to maximise the total inductance. One unit tested here allows continuous variation from 0.3mH to 2.8mH. On occasion, I have connected a fixed inductor in series to increase the maximum possible inductance.

I guess the major problem is to find a suitable old car radio - not variable capacitor tuned.

Kevin    ZL4MD