Re: LF: Tuning inductance for 137kHz receive.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Tuning inductance for 137kHz receive.
From: "Martin Evans" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:26:17 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Brings back memories, Andy - I used to buy old valve radios from junk shops in the late 50s, early 60s for 2 shillings and sixpence each....if I'd kept them all intact, I could be living in the Bahamas now!

I well remember those lovely pi-wound coils.

Martin.

Old Tube type A.M. radios from the 50's to the early 70's will be a very good source for high value, slug tuned Inductors.. I have 2 coils I use to tune my 160 meter Windom for 136 KHz.. Each coil is a 2 section - PI wound coil, tunable by a ferrite slug.. With each section connected in series; I have a total of 3.2 mH of Inductance for each coil.. I use an Air Variable capacitor with the Inductor to make a simple " L " network to peak the antenna for maximum signal voltage to the radio.. It works well for me..

For illustration purposes, here is a link to a hand drawn diagram of my antenna:

http://ku4xr.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=145485293

73:

Andy - KU4XR -