LF: Re: Automatic Variometer adjustment at DK7FC

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Automatic Variometer adjustment at DK7FC
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:17:12 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1324639006; bh=TTtETpwSQMoSTEh4rwUwLr7vOmbpXNVsPqoXWPX2wXA=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=xp/8YfBvfDaFCH3C3JW2/wDyNNuDNVYZczxjw+bsJYVgV92sV1i9G0rK9hAiZkKq+ZErP9MmPnLpfrirVIejCd0+HqEHhkk7gtCNdJsIJixJ6nBmVqP7F7vPdPnFm0g0Hv3y1/gxV7bIkMerNDw+1UlyNUiWzJvK50tCcz6d5i8=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=vfzUJhPJfzG7xR308XbIttXVwz/GVF5urWoELLpCWeZScXoGFFWxBKyqZuVJDPkE/S7+25Hg2mDgva1bjjnz080gX/4PNLsSPaKvGfpqTPXh7SvtmZevNa00fqBY08HVZIAUbCfp7u//YcHG7jTK+QntQxZLhXFli/U+xcwJMkQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Stefan,

That is a nice simple circuit - I may well try something very similar at my QTH over the Christmas holiday, if time allows...

I suppose one advantage of a passive, "signal powered" phase detector for this scheme is that the phase detector output automatically becomes zero when the transmit signal is not present, which will prevent unwanted tuner operation on receive. As well as the BAT42 diodes providing a dead zone in servo operation close to the resonance point, I guess the inertia of the motor and gearbox will produce some hysteresis, moving the variometer to a very slightly over-adjusted position after the motor drive is removed, which will also help to prevent the system continuously searching around the correct tuning point. I expect one can optimise the resistor in series with the motor, as well as the amplifier gain, to get the best operation of this feature.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU