Re: LF: Re: Automatic Variometer adjustment at DK7FC

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Automatic Variometer adjustment at DK7FC
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:12:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Jim,

Thank you.
I ran the circuit unattended over night with a somewhat cautious feeling but the system is still fine ;-) Now beeing here on the Grabber PC again and watch how it works in operation. Nearly perfect.

There are some transient overshootings when rapidly reaching the resonance point. Two short impulses occurr when crossing the resonance point (to far beyond the optimal point, then a bit back and a smaller bit back again) This happens since i had to reduce the 33 Ohm resistor because the engine stucked yesterday in the evening. The engines stucking may have to do with different meachanical forces at different coil angles and just the cold outside. So now i could simply decrease the gain a bit, ie. increase the dead band. But what i want to do is to make the resistor smaller and reduce the output voltage a bit, making the behaviour of the source come closer to an ideal voltage source instead of a current source. I will simply add a 7808 or 7806 and a 1000uF cap in front of the 7667. Then i have to add a voltage divider in front of the 7667 to keep the input voltage below the supply voltage. Also this will make the inpit LOW level a bit closer to 0V.

I found some further minor things that could be changed or optimised in the circuit.
-Of course i do not need 2x a 680 Ohm resistor for the LEDs, one is enough.
-Also ordinary 1N4148 diodes instead of the BAT42 will work as well. Matching is uncritical. -A RC circuit with a time constant of about 1 ms (10n, 100k) between output of the amp stage and the comparators may help to reduce unwanted short active impulses during pressing or releasing the PTT (sometimes seen here).

BTW i observed no EMC problems here with the circuit. The functionality is the same at 1% or 100% TX power.

73, Stefan/DK7FC