Re: LF: Radio 4 Long Wave to close.... (soon?)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Radio 4 Long Wave to close.... (soon?)
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 07:48:44 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Warren,

"Building a new long-wave transmitter for Radio 4 would cost "many
millions of pounds"
Many millions ? I doubt that they sought a quote!

They may not have, but I'm not entirely surprised by that off-the-cuff estimate. The Beeb would likely set up specifications requiring a custom design. As has been pointed out, that design might include standard modules from a manufacturer like Harris, but Auntie would set up specs that require considerable engineering and testing expenses.

And it doesn't end there. There would be contracted costs for training at the manufacturer's plant and on-site in the U.K. They would, of course, not just be training one guy...

There's also the issue of spare parts. No tubes, obviously, but quantities of boards, modules, big RF components and power supply stuff. Not cheap.

Little of this would apply to U.S. commercial broadcasters, but the BBC has somewhat different procurement systems.

John, W1TAG