LF: Re: Turbine magnets

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Turbine magnets
From: "Hugh M0WYE" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:07:55 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1316722071; bh=NiQhxjyMCQtgL6QnOYuQYMO5AGdx7IscOtRf/DUDMEA=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=0zRw9u29y/xRfQUkznuQRFxUVk8H78RUMCqfVUvvx5/Z7GNhyIDqDhHBDpOaLlBIGOczsGeuntMJKsDFtd6Do+Rt0sNWl79VDQzf9TvQQNYecHvKpvShRMlJmSMLqutUORP1zkMvABBVL3N8s132Vayn8VgZmQ7lISPMwca/a6E=
Sender: [email protected]
Seems unlikely that the magnetism would reach that far to me - the magnetic field would be no different to any other large generating set - they are just an ordinary alternator driven through a gearbox.
If they did affect magnetic compasses you would have thought that the place you would really notice it would be around the coast, with small boats sailing in amongst them.
Although they look as if they are turning slowly, they can't do many rpm before the tips of the blades go supersonic, as the blades are many 10s of metres long.
Over what distance did you notice the magnetic effect? perhaps I could get down to the ones on Romney Marsh, here in Kent and see if they have any effect on a compass needle.

The moving blades can affect radio reception for people living nearby, although I've not noticed this myself.

73
Hugh M0WYE