Re: LF: Ferrite wideband antennas?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ferrite wideband antennas?
From: Piotr Mlynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 00:43:40 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Daniele Tincani pisze:
Hello LF,
a very interesting discussion is in progress on the reflector on ferrite rx antennas. My understanding however is that until now we have been talking about narrow-band antennas. May I ask the experts if a wide-band ferrite antenna could be feasible, able to (partially) match the "panoramic" approach of SDR receivers, at least in the LF/NDB and/or MW bands? Such an "ideal" antenna would combine some advantages of air-cored loops with a reduced size (uhm... too "ideal" to be real :-)) Regards
Daniele
Hello Daniele, LF

your suggestion about wide-band ferrite antenna has prompted me to another 'experiment' which i will try to make possibly in the forthcoming weekend. Being 'triggered' by Stefan ideas , constructions using large ferrite antenna yesterday i have built a simple parallel LC network followed by a buffer/amplifier where L has been delivered by a fairly large ferrite rod ... The final receiving device was SDR-IQ of RFSpace.Inc So far this sdr receiver has been used in the VLF/LF region using my air loop ( 11 turns, 1 sq. meter area, placed on my balcony) along with the "wide-band" use of the OP27 - pse, see: http://ik4hdq.net/doc/testi/smlloop.pdf for idea, details. scheme etc... This setup has allowed me to successfuly receive Alpha (rsdn-20) stns, SAQ, 137 kHz transmissions/beacons and also some air NDB's and yesterday evening it was used for comparisons between ferrite antenna and air loop ( dcf39 was used as signal source) so, according to your question/idea - i simply replace my air loop by this ferrite antena therefore will get a wide-band ferrite antena configuration
and will do some rx'ing...
73, Piotr,sq7mpj

qth: Lodz/jo91rs/