Re: LF: QSY

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QSY
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:03:22 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Chris (et al)

In the last few years I've given talks at 5 different radio clubs in East Anglia. Some were well attended and thriving, others small but in good shape and one was clearly in trouble. A common thread throughout was a distinct lack of younger members.

Although this is not a subject for further discussion on the LF-reflector it is something that should concern us all. We need to find more ways of making the hobby inviting to younger people without "dumbing it down". How?  As a teenager I was fascinated by short-wave, communicating by string, radio, light beams and earth currents. Today, the advances in technology make what we do appear far from marvellous.

Not sure of the answers but amateur radio in 2020 may be just a handful of pensioners talking about how good it was in the old days. No doubt Mal will be one of them.

Did I also note in the RSGB's survey that LF was an interest mainly of the older members?

73s
Roger G3XBM