Re: LF: QSY

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QSY
From: g4gvw <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:48:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger,

Alan G3NYK and myself often debate this (being 'ole fogeys').

Personally I would align this with the failure of our education system
to engage students in the sciences and mathematics in our schools.

When I was at school you could go along to any of our science masters
and get involved in a discussion about crystal sets, aerials etc. even
though I cannot remember any one of them being licensed. We had a school
radio club that was effectively run by ourselves with the encouragement
of the school. A lab tech taught me to solder. He didn't have any
interest in electronics or radio but he could sure use a "bolt" and a
bunsen burner!

Also, in those days, kids (especially boys) had HOBBIES not HOODIES! We
built model aircraft, boats, carts, radios. We could even attach a bike
dynamo to a Mamod steam engine! You could learn about tearing the wings
off a Keil-Kraft model glider by fitting a Jetex engine. You could
almost blow yourself up making rockets from cigar tubes and "flash"
powder. There was even a magazine called "Hobbies Magazine". The "EAGLE"
had a centre spread that never ever featured a "boob" as far as I can
remember but oh those cut-away drawings of the "Flying Scotsman"!

We were excited by all that stuff. Now, today, I see on the TV news that
vast numbers of the population are becoming addicted to "Smartphones".
I remember a few years ago when describing a 'mobile phone' as a "radio
transceiver that connects to a telephone network" to some friends in the
pub, that eyes glazed over! "Technology" these days tends to mean
"Meeedja studies" doesn't it?

I agree that "sumpn needs to be done" but what? I think we are fighting
a change that is as much cultural as technical.

Discuss. :>))

73

--
73 es gd dx de pat g4gvw